MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang has released and made public a list of nominees that they have their eyes on to be the new Chief Justice, less than a day after the Senate convicted Chief Justice Renato Corona for betrayal of public trust and culpable violation of the Constitution, in a 20-3 vote.
Presidential Spokesman Edwin Lacierda made the announcement after Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile advised President Benigno Aquino III not to pick an outsider to be the new Chief Justice and instead pick from the incumbent associate justices of the Supreme Court.
According to Lacierda, the list is still in the drafting stage and subject to change. The nominees are:
- Kris Aquino — The Queen of All Media could soon be the Queen of the Supreme Court. No more red shirts. Clothes should be fashionable, even during protests of SC employees.
- Mahar Mangahas — President & CEO of Social Weather Stations (SWS). He would be capable of judging cases because his polling body knows what the “people” “wants”.
- Midas Marquez — Having lost his job as spokesman of the Supreme Court and chief of its Public Information Office, Marquez is the top bet to get the post. He is replaced by his deputy Public Information Officer Gleo Guerra. He is the only SC insider on the list.
- Risa Hontiveros-Baraquel — Ranked 13th in the last Senatorial elections. Hontiveros-Baraquel is currently the Spokesperson of Akbayan Party and a staunch supporter for the passage of the Reproductive Health (RH) Bill.
- Grace Lee —
a very passionate and down-to-earth TV & radio personality who has captured the hearts of Filipinos for making the President feel loved.Disqualified due to conflict of interest.
- Franklin Drilon — Chairman of the Liberal Party and played a big part in the just concluded impeachment trial as a Senator judge.
- Anonymous — Played a
biggerHUGE role in the just concluded impeachment trial as the source of various damning evidence against the Chief Justice. Gender is currently unknown.
- Chef Pablo “Boy” Logro — Celebrity chef and host of 30-minute cooking show Kusina Master on GMA Network. Promises to shout “ping ping ping ping ping” whenever he strikes the gavel upon becoming the first Chef Justice. (sorry for the corny pun)